How to Start a Coffee Shop? learn with Bizitracker?
To start a coffee shop will be very profitable. On some special place or near some busy route with some specialty and it will be full of customers and enjoying their coffee, espresso, lattes, teas, and a variety of pastries and other goodies. Serving some good quality coffees and snacks will be very trendy and demanding, and giving a relaxing atmosphere is a hugely successful business model. The best example of a successful coffee shop is Starbucks, which are having more than 31,000 coffeehouses around the world. If you are a coffee lover and looking for a business opportunity, then this blog will guide you to starting a coffee shop and making it a success.
Three types of coffee shop you can start
- Purchase franchise: In this type, you just need to purchase a franchise and all the major decisions will be taken by you. Only locations on the outlet will be selected by the franchise provider. Rest everything is handled and managed by you.
- Buying an already established business: This is another type of business where you need to find the perfect and profitable business for yourself with some accurate price. Finding and buying is not so easy.
- Starting from scratch or bottom: This type of business requires a lot of hard work and effort. How much effort and creativity you put in that much profit you will get.
Following are the few factors that depend on how to start a coffee shop
- Do some research about the business: To open a coffee shop will take a huge investment and it will take a lot of effort and time. It is very important you should do some researches and spend some time to understand the business. You need to visit the different cafes and meet their owner and ask them about their experience and find the how things work. The most important thing what is the customer likes and accordingly planning, creating a menu, price points, and everything will be done.
- Define Your Vision: Every person who is planning to start a business having a big plan and idea in their mind and the image of their cafe also. So you just need to write down each and every detail of your cafe what type of cafe is it and what type of atmosphere and what will be the menu and you need to start collecting cafe photos for the idea, different cafe menus, and design ideas it will provide a vision for how your café looks like, what type of food you will be going to serve, and how customers feel when they walk into your cafe. When you write down or define everything then it will help you in choosing a name, decor, planning for the food which is going to be served, choosing the right coffee, selection of cups, and define how you will interact with your customers.
- Create a business plan: When you write your process will help you to understand the business in your local market. This process helps you to take a close look at the cafe. Writing a business plan will guide you in each and every stage of developing and managing a business how to structure, run, and grow your new business. Business plan must have the following things:
- Summary of your business
- Analysis report of the local market
- List of the team members:
- New and creative marketing plan
- How much cash needed to start the cafe
- Financial Report
- location of your business and rent agreement if you are using the rented property.
- Choose cafe Location: Location is the most crucial part of the overall success of the cafe. Before starting a cafe you need to spend some time finding the perfect location for your cafe. You need to take a close look at the place and what type of peoples are there and their choices and how the parking will be there if you start your coffee shop in that area, how many cafes are already running in the area. You must be aware of each and everything in the area because you are going to spend a lot of money to start a coffee shop. You must be aware of lease terms and if you resale your business how much you will get.
- Finding the Suppliers: Finding good suppliers is an important component of the business. Depending on what type of café you are going to open. Important suppliers of every cafe are coffee, milk, bread, fresh produce, and groceries and also require cups, napkins, coffee stirrers, teapots, syrups… and so on and on. You need to write down the list suppliers you need, also you need to write the details also. This list will ensure that you are fully prepared for anything.
- Equipment you require: When it comes to source the equipment. You must ensure that you must buy the best and right equipment for your cafe using your own cash. Also, you can take equipment on lease also from the silver chef, etc equipment providers. Any cafes take equipment from their coffee roasters. Also, you need to invest in buying a few commercial types of equipment like a blender, refrigerator, dishwasher, cash register… and so on.
- Design your cafe: Designing your café on paper is an important step. It gives you a real image of your cafe on documents. You need to understand the tastes of your customer what customers want and design your café accordingly. After that you can choose a theme and stick to it will make for a much stronger identity. You need to design the front store design, logo of the cafe, furniture, and lighting. You need to design the layout according to both an employee and a customer perspective. Providing a great atmosphere to customers and efficient workflow for employees is the crucial part, and an experienced designer can help you to make the design accurately
- Create a Menu: Your menu is the soul of your cafe. The menu will express your vision and the theme of your café. Everything needs to be considered properly and perfectly, from food options, to design, to color and to fonts of the menu, and you must use descriptions, images, and pricing in your menu. You must think about the signature dish of your cafe and how to shape the dish into your menu. You need to make things simple. Mostly cafe owners focus on dozens of dishes but it’s ideal for you to focus not more than 10-12 options. You need to Calculate the ingredient costs and margin in each dish that is prepared in your cafe
- Hire the Right People: Most cafe owners want an experienced staff, which is a great idea. But experience people must have attitude also. In the cafe, Skills can be learned slowly, but attitude is not good. It’s important to have some experience, particularly in the early stages. If you hire the right people then only you will able to develop a right and skill full team. The right instructor and trainer are very helpful to start the cafe, When it comes time to hire the people, you must aware of the relevant award system, tax, and other regulatory requirements
- Advertise your Cafe: The months and weeks before the opening of your cafe, you are having a chance to start building your network. You can use Social media, posters and you can also make banners or holdings that will be your mouth, so use it to build up your reputation. Don’t forget to claim your Google Maps listing so that you show up in local search, and consider claiming your page on other review sites. Use images and videos to promote and shares advertise your cafe. When your customers come in, ask them to follow your page to receive updates.
- Open your cafe: Opening your café is an achievement for you and it’s the beginning of your exciting new adventure. After years and months of planning, hard work preparation, and hiring the best staff possible, and now your grand opening is a chance to showcase your hard work. It’s also a great opportunity to start building long-lasting relationships with your customers.